Following the immense success of our 2020 Raid Local, this year the event is coming to a road near you on 27 June!
What better way to enjoy this fantastic June sunshine than by getting on your bike with your friends and family, hitting the open road, and raising funds and your altitude for a cure?
Join Cure Parkinson’s patron Mike Tindall, ambassador Iain Balshaw and CEO Will Cook as they tackle this epic challenge. What’s more, the Drops Le Col women’s cycling team will be joining the Raid Local peloton. This team of elite riders, which is the only GB women’s team currently ranked in the top 20 in the UCI WorldTour, will be taking part across Europe on 27 June. The Drops Le Col team boasts powerful riders including April Tacey, who took two wins in the virtual Tour de France in 2020.
Inspired by the legendary Mount Ventoux, the challenge this year is simple: get in the saddle and take to your local roads to cover a route inspired by ‘The Beast of Provence’. Your local area is your oyster but here are some of our suggestions:
- Half Mont Ventoux – at least 820m vertical ascent (and more than 21.4km distance)
- Mont Ventoux – at least 1,639m vertical ascent (and more than 42.8km distance)
- Le Chalet Raynard – A route that takes you and your fellow riders on a grand tour of the most acclaimed coffee shops in your local area
- Mini Ventoux – get your little ones on their bike and pedalling for a cure!
Go the extra mile
For those of you that have spent most of lockdown stuck indoors on your turbo trainer, why not join Cure Parkinson’s Chief Executive Will Cook and attempt to cover the equivalent of 2x or even 3x Mont Ventoux on local roads on the day? 2x would be at least 3,174m ascent and 85.2km, while 3x is the equivalent of infamous “Club des Cinglés Challenge: at least 4,443m ascent and 136.6km. Not for the faint hearted.
Last year, hundreds of riders rode tens of thousands of kilometres and raised an incredible £250,000 for us, gaining charity kudos and lots of goodwill along the way. Raid Local is truly an uplifting mass-participation event for socially distant times. Depending on local restrictions in force in June, it should be perfectly possible to complete the challenge fully compliant with the spirit and the letter of any restrictions.
How to get involved
- Sign up
- Pay a £20 registration fee. This covers the cost and Post and Packaging of your medal.
- Map out your route – you can join in wherever you are, but please adhere to the government’s COVID-19 restrictions within your local area. Click here for more information. If you’d like to take part on Zwift, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Record your activity on the day using Strava and share it with us by joining the Cure Parkinson’s Strava Club.
- Fundraise or donate at least £100 to Cure Parkinson’s JustGiving page.
- Promote your challenge through your social media networks and don’t forget to tag Cure Parkinson’s. You may even inspire others to join in!
- Chapeau! Chapeau! Join us after the ride and raise a glass to your fellow riders at our virtual celebrity prize-giving and champagne reception (BYOB) on Zoom.
If you would like to take part in Raid Local 2021: Ventoux! on Zwift, you can sign up here.
The Cure Parkinson’s Jersey of Hope
By popular demand, our Jersey of Hope is making a return. This time, we are switching things up: our fantastic kit partner Le Col has made the jersey from their Pro range (RRP £130) available exclusively to our riders. Want to be the best dressed on your local roads? Well, there are at least two ways you can get your hands on this beautiful bit of kit.
This year Cure Parkinson’s Jersey of Hope is being supported by an incredible 39 sponsors. We’d like to take this opportunity to thank Le Col for their generous support as well as our kind sponsors 4D Life, AEGIS, AJIPS, Alethia, AQ Construction Services Ltd, Atrium Underwriters Limited, Barcapel Foundation, Bonhams, Boston Consulting Group, Bray & Krais, Butchers Pet Care, Christchurch IM, Clear Storage, Cloyda Care Home, Dar Lighting, Diney Costeloe, First Capital, Grandad Pat, Graphical Agency, Jonny Tours, Laurie Pembroke, Le Col, Levmet, Life Cover, LSH, Marks and Clerk, Marmot, Montgomery’s Cheddar, Niftylift, Physique, Profoil, Sentient Communications, ALITUR, Simmons and Simmons, SixDegrees, Smith Pollock Foundation, Symphony Cycling, The Chapar and Wordley Law.